Ready to downsize your home? Read on for tips on how to downsize your home before you move.
Your lifestyle has changed; the kids have moved out of the house, and you are an empty nester; you want a smaller home with less maintenance—there are dozens of reasons why you should downsize your home. If you are one of the millions of homeowners looking to downsize, it may seem like an impossible task, but it does not have to be. Here are a few tips on how to downsize your home.
- Take photos of your current home to look back on after you move.
- Stop buying new things unless it is absolutely necessary.
- Measure the spaces in your new home and note the shape of each room so you can make a plan to fit your current belongings.
- Declutter your home one room at a time.
- Inventory your belongings and organize things into one of four categories: keep, throw out/recycle, donate/giveaway, and undecided.
- To help you decide what to keep, consider your current lifestyle needs and the size of your new space.
- Consider giving sentimental items you do not need to a family member or friend.
- Implement the KonMari method—if it does not spark joy, get rid of it (donate, give away, throw out, etc.).
- Clean through your paperwork. File what is needed, shred what you can get rid of, and make digital copies of anything you do not need to keep physically.
- When in doubt, seek help. Ask family members or friends to help you organize, but if you need an objective opinion, a professional organizer can help you stay on track.
If you are wondering how to downsize your home but do not yet have another home lined up, consider a spec home. Spec homes are new, move-in-ready homes built with what current buyers want in mind. These homes have the allure of a custom or semi-custom home but without the dozens of decisions that come with buying them. Spec homes are an excellent choice for individuals ready to move quickly.
If you are considering a spec home as you downsize your current home, GW Homes can help. At GW Homes, we have been a spec home and custom home builder in Gainesville and North Central Florida for more than 50 years. With more than a dozen luxury home communities completed throughout Alachua County, we have earned a reputation for designing and building quality homes in the most desirable locations. Each of our communities is designed to meet current homebuyers’ needs and includes homes with the latest appliances and fixtures, eco-friendly features, and smart home technology. Stop by for a tour or contact us today to find out how we can help you as you move into the next season of your life.