Need a moving to Gainesville checklist? We’ve got you covered. Read on for some guidelines to help you prepare for your move.
Moving to Gainesville, or anywhere for that matter, can feel overwhelming. You know you have countless things to do, but what exactly should you do and when? A moving checklist is an excellent way to keep you organized and on track. Here is a moving to Gainesville checklist you can use to use as a starting point to help you sort out some of the high-priority to-dos you need to complete before the big day.
Please note this moving checklist assumes you already have chosen your home and have a move-in date. If you are moving to Gainesville and do not yet have a home lined up, consider contacting a local professional home builder like GW Homes.
Two Months Before Moving to Gainesville
- Start decluttering your current home and decide what you will keep, what you will throw away, and what you will donate.
- Make moving arrangements either with professional movers or with your friends and family. If you choose professional movers, seek multiple quotes and always choose a reputable, licensed company.
- Collect or purchase boxes and other moving supplies.
- Enroll your children in their new school(s) and notify their current schools of the upcoming change.
- Research and locate new doctors or other professionals in your new community.
One Month Before Moving to Gainesville
- Begin packing. Developing a packing system and labeling boxes will help the unpacking process be more efficient.
- Complete a change of address with the post office.
- Contact your utility companies to make arrangements for turning off your current connections.
- Contact your future utility companies to make arrangements to turn on your new home’s connections.
- Notify other important parties, like insurance companies, banks, subscriptions, etc., of your address change.
- If possible, visit your new community to explore it more before you move.
Two Weeks Before Moving to Gainesville
- Make arrangements to have your current home cleaned after you leave and your new home cleaned before you arrive.
- Make travel, childcare, and pet arrangements for the move, if needed.
- Give your friends and family your new address.
- Throw a going away party!
The Week of Moving to Gainesville
- Finish packing. Ensure you have set aside a suitcase with essential items to hold you over for a few days during/after your move.
- Do any last-minute errands.
- Confirm the move-in plans with your moving company or family and friends.
- Use what is in your fridge and freezer.
After Moving to Gainesville
- Inspect your belongings to check for any damage that may have occurred while moving
- Unpack your essentials first, then work on the rest over the coming days/weeks
- Map out your commutes to find the best route to work, school, church, etc.
- Head to the DMV to update your driver’s licenses
- Update your voter registration
- Throw a housewarming party and get to know your new neighbors in Gainesville
If you are moving to Gainesville and considering purchasing a new home, our team of professionals at GW Homes is ready to help. We have built spec and semi-custom in Gainesville for over 50 years. With decades of building in more than a dozen communities throughout Alachua County, GW Homes has earned a reputation for helping our customers build their dream homes in some of the most desirable locations in Gainesville. Do you have your own land you want to build on? Not a problem! We can do that too. Whether you want to build on your own land, are looking for a lot in an established community to build on, or are seeking a move-in ready home, GW Homes can do it all. Contact our team today to find out how we can help you move into a new home in Gainesville.